professional interior design services
As an additional benefit to our customers, Little Urbanites’ store location offers custom interior design services.
We know that children prosper in environments that foster development and stimulate imagination. Our goal is to integrate these ideas into their living spaces, whether that’s a bedroom or a play area. Our design philosophies focus on clean lines and contemporary styles that allow children to grow and develop as individuals.
our design philosophy
Children need a place they can call their own at home—a place of comfort that is just for them. As a parent, you want the design of that space to be well organized and safe, but still engaging and fun.
Our goal is to create a place for your child that is ergonomic and will support them as they grow and change, one that allows for self-expression and flexibility as they mature. We tend to veer away from theme rooms that children will outgrow quickly and prefer to design a room with a simplistic, versatile style.
Safety and educational development are a key focus when designing a child's room. Establishing a safe environment is more than eliminating sharp edges and obvious physical hazards, it extends to eco-friendly products like organic mattresses and non-toxic paints. We work to incorporate educational elements throughout the room that will support their development, integrating sensory and cognitive accents that stimulate their imagination.
design questions with in house interior designer Suzanne Sibley
- Where were you certified as a designer?
- I attended the Sheffield Interior Design School in New York City. It’s a division within Parsons' School of Design, and students come from all over the globe to learn from faculty who are among the top professionals in their fields.
- What is your design style?
- Simple, clean and contemporary.
- How long will the process take?
- Typically about one month, but that can vary depending on the individual needs of the parent(s). Together we will plan a schedule that works for you.
- Will my input count?
- Your input is the most important part. My job is to take your ideas/needs and use those as a template to create a room that is highly functional and also enjoyable—not only for the child, but for the whole family.
- Do you design adult rooms?
- My passion is Baby and children's room decor. However, I do have years of design experience that I can apply to any room in your home.
- How much does your service cost?
- We’d love to talk with you about what you have in mind so we can give you a complete answer. Please feel free to contact us here.
When you come in for your first appointment, we will start with a lifestyle questionnaire that will include questions such as:
- How many members are in your family?
- How old is the child we are designing for?
- What furniture do we need for the room?
- Are there any health issues (for the child or the family) that we need to address?
This questionnaire will give us a sense of the room’s use, needs and the family’s style preferences. From here we may request measurements of the room and current pictures to help guide our design process.
We will then have you pick a focus piece for the room to use as our first step in design development. This can be anything from a piece of furniture to fabric, artwork or anything that you love. With this starting point, we will fill the room to these ‘focus pieces’ and finish with wall colors and accessories.
Our goal for these final accents is to pick age appropriate and thoughtful pieces to accentuate our focus points. These finishing touches make the child feel like the room is their own.
In every customer interaction, we aspire to have fun while meeting your needs. Thank you again for picking Little Urbanites and please let us know how we can help you!